Burwood PS 2023
PROBLEM OF PRACTICE: Are our mathematics lessons worthwhile?
- Are there opportunities for students to pose questions, solve problems, explain their thinking and use reasoning to justify their answers?
- Are teachers using effective strategies to facilitate students to reason?
- Who is carrying the cognitive load? Are the students learning or doing?
Enfield PS 2019
PROBLEM OF PRACTICE: Are we supporting our students to think mathematically?
- Are students showing their mathematical thinking using the WM processes of reasoning, problem solving & communicating?
- Is our teacher questioning assessing and promoting mathematical thinking and reasoning?
- Are our tasks challenging and supporting all learners? Are students learning rather than doing?
Old Guildford PS 2019
PROBLEM OF PRACTICE: Is learning in Maths visible to our students and to our teachers?
- Do students understand what they are learning and how to be successful?
- Are they using mathematical language to communicate their understanding?
- Is feedback moving the learning forward?
Granville East PS 2019
PROBLEM OF PRACTICE: To what extent are we developing mathematicians?
- Is there a focus on a big idea to develop conceptual understanding?
- Are we designing challenging tasks that provide opportunities for a range of responses?
- Are students communicating, reasoning and problem solving?
Old Guildford PS 2018
PROBLEM OF PRACTICE: Are we developing students who are logical, creative problem solvers?
- Do the tasks we set allow for the development of Working Mathematically processes?
- Are there opportunities for students to communicate their mathematical understandings to other students and the teacher?
- Are we using the assessment for learning cycle to make learning visible?
Old Guildford PS 2017
PROBLEM OF PRACTICE How effectively are we engaging our students in mathematical learning?
- Are our teaching practices developing confident, proactive attitudes towards maths?
- Are we providing appropriate opportunities for them to use Mathematical processes of reasoning, problem solving and communication?